The government of Maharashtra tightened the restrictions to curb the further spread of the Covid-19 virus in the state. On January 8 alone, Maharashtra reported more than 40,000 new covid-19 virus cases. The higher and technical education minister of Maharashtra, Uday Samant, had declared the colleges and universities to remain shut until February 15.
These additional restrictions were pushed forward by the government of Maharashtra in light of the sharp increase in corona infections. On Saturday, Maharashtra reported 41,434 new patients infected with the covid-19 virus. On the other hand, Omicron is also rapidly spreading in the state. As of Saturday, January 8, the tally of Omicron patients in Maharashtra stands at 1,009. 133 new Omicron cases were reported on Saturday in Maharashtra alone. The number of covid-19 cases reported country-wide crossed the 3,53,68,372 mark, including 3,071 patients infected with the latest variant of Corona – Omicron. The additional restrictions include night curfew within the borders of Maharashtra, theatres, restaurants, auditoriums, and malls that will operate at 50 percent capacity.
According to the most recent instructions from the state administration, all amusement parks, zoos, museums, and other tourist attractions would stay shut. After 11 pm, there is no movement permitted during the night curfew. The state will prohibit any grouping of five or more persons from occurring anywhere in the state throughout the day as well. From 8 am to 10 pm, eateries and restaurants would be permitted to operate at 50% of their normal capacity. Only entirely vaccinated individuals will be allowed to enter theatres and auditoriums. Gyms and salons will be closed across the state also.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackerey did not support imposing a complete lockdown throughout the state. However, the further decisions are subject to the level of Covid-19 virus spread in the state. A few ministers of the ruling government have also opined earlier that there was no need to impose a complete lockdown in the state as the number of beds and oxygen storage were present in adequate amounts in the state-run hospitals. Mumbai civic officials have said that further instructions will be issued if the number of patients infected with the covid-19 virus crosses the mark of 20,000 on a daily basis.
Fresh Restrictions Imposed By State Government As Covid-19 Virus Surging
- From 5 am to 11 pm, no traveling in groups of five or more will be permitted.
- Travelling and roaming between 11 pm to 5 am is not allowed, save for unless necessary.
- Individual attendance at wedding and funeral capped at 50 and 20, respectively.
- Colleges and universities will be closed till February 15.
5: Fitness centers, water parks, spas, and beauty salons will all stay closed, but hair-cutting shops will operate at 50% capacity between 7 am and 10 pm.
- sports competitions will be postponed, except for contests at the national and international levels that have already been organized.
- Malls will be closed from 10 pm to 8 am and will only operate at half capacity until the following orders are issued. Management is responsible for appointing marshals to guarantee that Covid guidelines are strictly adhered to.
- The hours of operation for restaurants will be 8 am to 10 pm, with required disclosure of total capacity and the current number of guests on a notice board in each location. Home delivery is available on a daily basis. The same law applies to movie theatres as it does to other venues.
- For domestic travel, a negative RT-PCR test result or a double vaccination certificate that is valid for up to 72 hours from the time of arrival in the state is required.
- There will be no changes to local trains, as all public transportation will continue to operate as normal. However, only persons who have been completely vaccinated will be permitted to ensure covid-19 virus gets in control.